Use this calendar for planning purposes only.
Event details subject to change!
To confirm event status (sold out, cancellations, schedule changes, COVID restrictions, etc.), visit the event website link below.
Scary Run 5k | 10k | Half Marathon
October 29, 2023 @ 8:00 am - 12:00 pm PDT
An event every year that begins at 8:00 am on day last of October, repeating until October 26, 2025
RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!
Get out your Halloween costumes and be prepared to be scared out of your wits. If the running doesn’t increase your heart rate, being chased by monsters, zombies and psycho freaks will!
We will make you earn your post-event party by running or walking a Half Marathon, 10K or 5K in beautiful Washougal, WA. Festive food and drink to follow the race!
Half Marathon starts at 8:30am. 5K & 10K start at 9am. Be there early to set up and for pre-race instructions.
What to Bring
Bring the obvious – Costumes are optional but definitely makes the photos more enjoyable and makes it more fun for all! Remember your running/walking shoes & gear, your bib number etc. Watch the weather closely. The show goes on no matter what the weather is doing. Fortunately, if you’re dressed correctly, it shouldn’t matter. If it’s raining, you may want to layer with a water-proof running jacket. If it’s cold, wear some running gloves. Vaseline is always a good idea on any spots that might rub (underarms, inner thighs, feet). Wear your Bib Number on the front of your shirt/jacket which also includes your disposeable chip timing piece. Watch for the cameras en route and give us a big cheesy smile!
Plus remember to bring a warm, clean change of clothing so you can enjoy the post-event festivities.
As a reminder, if your family is going to be cheering you along en route, remind them to bring cowbells, music, fun signs and pom poms to help keep your energy up along the course. Or perhaps, they should dress up and try to scare you as well!
This race is a fun, costume-themed run/walk. Although titled ‘Scary Run’ your costume doesn’t need to be scary. Be creative and dress in any costume you like as long as you can comfortably and safely run and walk. Feel free to get together with friends and come up with a fun costume theme.
The ‘Scary’ component will surface while you are running along the course and should guarantee some solid personal bests!
Kids 12 and under get to register for FREE and kids 13 ~ 17 receive 50% off on their registration!
TOP 10 REASONS WHY YOU DON’T WANT TO MISS SCARY RUN
1. Fundraiser for Friends of the Gorge! You know what else is Scary?! Having our beautiful Gorge destroyed! Scary Run starts in Washougal, also known as the Gateway to the Gorge, so with all the fire and destruction in the Gorge right now, we are going to donate $5 from every registration to the Friends of the Gorge to help with the rebuilding of our beautiful Gorge. So that means if we have 1000 people participate, we will donate $5000 to Friends of the Gorge. Pass it on to all your friends and family and anyone who wants to help. Runners and walkers love the Gorge so this is an easy way for us to work together to help!
2. The COSTUMES – Half the fun at this event is all the AMAZING Scary (and not so scary) Halloween costumes!
3. Three distances! You can run or walk the Half Marathon, 10K or 5K distances. Whether you are an experienced racer, a weekend warrior, new to running, or a walker, we will scare you all the same! Plus since the Half Marathon is an Inaugural event, you speedsters get the chance to hold the course record for at least a year! Lots of opportunities for age group awards!
4. The course! This is a beautiful (but scary) course in quaint Washougal WA along the Columbia River with views of Mt. Hood and the Gorge! The course is extremely flat and perfect for a Personal Best – especially since you’ll be running for your life!
5. SWAG! The Finishers’ shirt and Medal Bling is darn SCARY!
6. Friends & Family! What a wonderful (yet SCARY) way for friends and family to get together and do something fun, active and healthy for Halloween! It will help burn off any of those treat-size candy bars!
7. Kid-friendly! The 5K & 10K courses are along a trail away from traffic so perfect for the kiddos. Teach them that Halloween isn’t just about the candy!
8. It’s so EASY! Washougal is just a quick drive from Vancouver and Portland and parking is super easy. Washougal will quickly become one of our favorite spots to run, bike or hang at the beach. And Downtown Washougal has some great restaurants so you can make a day of it! Plus Washougal is one of the oldest established communities in Washington so there’s lots of SCARY history!
9. Halloween-themed Food and FREE Beer! Get your run or walk in and then sit back, relax and enjoy the Halloween Festivities with your buddies!
10. Free race photos and social media fun! Yep, FREE thanks to IQ Credit Union! Your scary smiles will be captured throughout the day, emailed to you for FREE and then you can share on social media.
To confirm event status (sold out, cancellations, COVID restrictions, etc.), be sure to visit the event website above.